Tuesday, October 20, 2009

School Spirit Revisited

I want to talk about school spirit again. Remember I said before that the school spirit here is not what it once was. When I went to school here and played football, the games were fun. Not just for the players, but for the spectators as well. Football belonged to everyone, everyone participated. The fans felt like they were a part of things, not just watching a game.
We have played against a few teams where I saw the other team's bleachers and saw that they were all having a lot of fun. Then I look at our side and everyone just sits there. We clap when we are supposed to clap and moan when we are supposed to moan, but we are not involved. The two games that really stick out to me are the Pennfield game and the Constantine game. The fans, students and band for these schools were so involved with the game that they were actually a part of what was going on.
Looking at the Pennfield game the band was in the endzone playing during the whole game. They would beat the drum during kickoffs. And play the fight song when they scored. I also liked that each time Pennfield scored on the band end of the field the band would give the players high fives and they would jump around having fun with the players. This is what I mean when I say they are a part of things, not just watching.
When I went to the Constantine game it was a similar situation. The band was in it's own section of the bleachers. They would play the fight song when their team did something really good. The kids in the band were singing and whoop whooping. They were having a blast, I could tell. This made it fun for the people in the stands as well.
I would love to see our band doing things like this at our games. Our band does a great half time show, but I would like to see them involved during the whole game. I want to hear our fight song everytime our football team does something good. I think it would be fun if they played the charge song sometimes. wouldn't it be fun to see our kids in the bleachers singing, dancing and having fun? Just think how fired up the band could get the fans and players. In my opinion school sports belong to all of us. It is our responsibility to help make it as good and as fun as it could be. I want to see our cheerleaders and fans dancing in the stands to a funky tune being played by our band.
Tell me what you think. Remember it is our school and we all have a say.

8 comments:

  1. actually I was told before I came here, that it would be like you just discribed it. So it would be very cool if this could be changed/improved. I think the band is doing a great job anyways but I also think that everyone would like to have even more fun watching football. m.bauer (3rd hr.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are football team is good and our band is good
    3rd and 4th hour

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that are band and our players are good but also i think the band could a little better at like during touch downs and other things as well. like the should play music and get the team players and fans and cheersquad could do better as well. (C.hodack) 3rd hour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are Band And Our Football team is good 2nd and 3rd Hour
    Kyle Mishler

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyahsondra Fletcher thanks....October 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM

    I Think The Same way Our Band is doing well,Football Team is great and thats just how it is. It could be better! But as well as the Band i think that they should play something when the football team gets a Touchdown!!
    *&*Kyahsondra Fletcher*&* 2nd and 3rd hour

    ReplyDelete
  6. U know whats funny im in the band i play bass. well the first football game we did play the our fight song when we scored but the refs gave us a penalty thats why we didnt play for the other games. personally as a band student i would like to get more involved i love football and i love band. we both do great and everyone gets along realy well.
    Alexandria 2nd hour

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right Alexandria the band and the football team both do a great job. And I think it stinks that we got a penalty for showing team spirit. I really like to watch the half time show each week, I know everyone else likes it too. I guess I'll have to wait for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree. Every time Constantine scored or even did something small like a first down, their band played...and they played more than just their fight song. If our band did that, maybe the crowd would get more into it, and maybe the team(s) would be a little more psyched up to play that much harder and win the game.

    ReplyDelete