Friday, October 2, 2009

School lunch policy

I have a topic for debate. I would like to discuss the lunch time policy. Currently we have a closed lunch policy, meaning that students may not leave the grounds for lunch. My personal opinion is that closed lunch is a good idea. Students not leaving the property at lunch time means students are not getting into trouble in town at lunch time. When I say trouble I don't just mean behavior trouble. When students are driving to town for lunch they could get into a car accident. I know you say they could get into an accident at any time, but not allowing the students to leave eliminates that risk.
I think that some students may also be tempted to not return to school. If a student goes out for lunch and has only two hours left in the day he or she may skip. Especially if the student thinks he or she is doing really well in those two classes. I'm not saying this would happen, but it could. I know that most would come back, but a few probably would not. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil it for everyone else.
I can't wait to hear what you all have to say. Remember, this is your chance to speak your mind. You may come up with something that nobody has thought of. I will take your good ideas to Ms. Brumm and Mr. Gonser for discussion. You may get your ideas to come to life. Just remember to always be respectful. And ALWAYS REMEMBER: GO MAPLE VALLEY. AND GO MICHIGAN STATE!!!

8 comments:

  1. I personally think the closed lunch is a good idea. its not like there really is something close to eat at. Most ppl usually like fast food places that i know of. But hey if u want subway or somthing get it in the morning and ask a teacher if u can put ur lunch in there mini frig. that what we did in jr. high at least. and Michigan State is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And most teachers will gladly let you put your lunch in their refrigerator. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, an extremely controversial topic! Not on the global scale, however, it is a topic worthy of debate. Personally, I am apathetic towards the concept of open/closed lunch. In the end, everyone obtains nourishment.

    The benefits of closed lunch are as follows:
    -guaranteed money towards the school hot lunch program
    -less truancy (already mentioned)
    -a lower probability of vehicle accidents (again, already mentioned)
    -less tardiness

    The benefits of open lunch are as follows:
    -money spent in town restaurants support local businesses
    -variety in concerns to dining

    Obviously, there are more benefits to closed lunch than open lunch. Accidents occur annually with open lunch policy. Earlier this year, two girls in Battle Creek were participants in a dangerous collision during their open lunch. Lunch is only thirty minutes. If you include driving time, there isn't much time left for chowing down. People then begin to speed and demonstrate less careful driving when they are focusing on time rather than safety. After careful analysis, closed lunch presents far more benefits than open lunch.

    p.s. MSU is a university of high caliber. There football team needs to step it up though. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the wrong "there/their" in the last complete sentence. I am ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well thought out and relevant points. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think staying on campus is also a good idea to keep ur mind in school and so their is less skipping and Michigan still #1 GO BLUE

    Cody Sivyer 5th hour

    ReplyDelete
  7. True. It only takes one bad apple to spoil it for the rest. I think we have to many kids in school that would do that. I think that kids could have open lunch if they had a high enough GPA and low absent record.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that a closed lunch is better. Especially for Maple Valley and us being so small everyone can stay in the school for another half hour. Also, I feel that it does keep your mind in school and not going off to other things. I know a lot of people that would probably end up skipping if they could leave school at lunch. If we changed our lunch to an open lunch then we would just end up changing it back because too many people would take advantage of it. So there is no sense of an open lunch.

    Alivia Johncock 2nd Hour

    ReplyDelete